Tuesday 16 June 2009

Mac attack!

Well, free time has been sparse for all of us. My work has gotten much more hectic (partly thanks to a promotion a couple of months back, so I can't really complain), but I'm trying to make more time over the next few weeks for some ScummVMing. Though I will also be moving house, so we'll see how it goes.

Anyway, my plan is to get back into it by working on T7G Mac to begin with (sighs all round, I'm sure, but 11H will come at some stage no doubt). It's filled with little tricksy problems, not even including getting the files off the disc in the first place. In approximate order of difficulty:
  • Some files need to be renamed to work
  • Files are squashed into a single data archive (jvprat has written an extractor)
  • Fonts are not included, as in the DOS version: native Mac system fonts were used
  • Music was not MIDI, but Special Mac Fancy Format™
This last one is the real biggie, so don't expect lovely Mac music anytime soon. I'll probably have got distracted into 11H before I manage to get Mac music sorted.

PS Btw, if anyone wants to follow me on Twitter, you can find me here: http://www.twitter.com/hjsb. Though it's mostly just bitching about how the artists at work don't do what the pipeline guys tell them to.

4 comments:

clone2727 said...

Actually, the MIDI files are in the archive that the extractor extracts from, but the MIDI files aren't extracted yet. The MIDI's are standard SMF files and I think they're compressed (from the last time I looked at it).

Unknown said...

Ah, so you noticed my "I haven't a clue about the music I'll just ask clone when the time comes" ;-) Good to know they're at least in a standard format. Do any other engines read SMF files do you know?

Eugene Sandulenko said...

Afaik AGOS has support for SMF. And we have sound/midiparser_smf.cpp just ready for your consumption :)

Unknown said...

That *is* good news. Sounds like that side should be easier than I thought, thanks!