Thursday 9 August 2007

Starting vdx extracter

Well, I've set off on the vdx file extractor. And although reasonably straightforward, it is definitely NOT going to be a one-night job like the gjd extracter.

One thing about it is that unlike the gjd file, where every byte is accounted for, there are several bytes here and there that the handy specs linked to earlier just say "unknown". Now, they didn't have to worry about them, because they had the sole purpose of extracting resources from the files, but I'm probably going to need what's in them at some stage. So I'm storing them, but I have to come up with variable names for them when I have no idea what they are / what they do. I've decided to follow the theme, and name them (initially at least) after characters in the game. I should point out that I don't know those names off the top of my head: I'm not that obsessed with the game! I looked them up on wikipedia, so if they're wrong no-one can blame me. As if anyone will notice / care :-)

No comments: